Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pat-A-Crust

Here is a quick recipe I tried last night for pie crust. I used to buy pie crust. Life was good, someone else did the work, there they were ready to unroll and use... Then I discovered thePW cookbook, so I made them and would freeze them. Last night as Wade walked out of the house with the kids they said "what's mom going to do?"  Wade responded "she is going to make us a pie!" WHAT, I was?  I had no thoughts of the such!!!  I guess, if the kids and the man want pie, then I will give them pie!  Well I was out of pie crusts in the freezer and didn't have that kind of time so I called my friend Donna, who had brought one of these pies to a birthday party I was at.  This crust is so quick and easy, I don't know that I will ever roll another one!  It is a bit more "crumbly" than a rolled crust but that's a sacrifice I am willing to make! ;) (I don't EAT pie, just MAKE pie, so if the crust crumbles, I don't really care~) 

2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
Pinch of salt

sift together in a mixing bowl.  (got that, sounds tough I know)

2/3c. oil
3 T. milk

wisk together

NOW here is the tricky part...mix the dry ingredients and the oil/milk, with a fork, until it is all moistened and crumbly.  (I hope you can detect the sarcasm as this is about as easy as pie making gets!)

Pour the crust into your pie plate and start to "pat"!  I did the sides first then the bottom, just pressing and patting until you have a nice even crust.  If you want some "crust" for the top of your pie reserve 1/4 of the mixture.  I did that last night and then crumbled it on top of my pie filling.  Fill your pie and bake at 425 until crust is golden and pie filling is "set".  There you have it!  This, in combination with the canned apple pie filling I have from our apples off the tree last fall, is going to be a BREEZE to make a pie whenever they want one!  The pie Donna brought to the party was a strawberry pie, so I just might have to get that recipe from her too, it was AWESOME!  Hope you all get to impress someone with your QUICK pie making skills!  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment